WFU

2017年9月28日 星期四

From Tradition to Innovation: My Stanford Experience

From Tradition to Innovation: My Stanford Experience


Yu-Feng CHEN

1973, Professor Christian Guilleminault described a new clinical syndrome at Stanford: sleep apnea with insomnia, which named as OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnea). 1979, at Stanford, Dr. Nelson Powell and Robert Riley started to develop sleep surgery. Then OSA patients can be treated by various surgical modalities not only by tracheotomy. The well-known Stanford sleep surgery protocol was published on 2010, which can be the treatment protocol for surgeons to follow.


I went to Stanford sleep surgery division for one year training, following Dr. Robert Riley and Dr. Stanley Yuan-Chuan Liu. From an Oral Maxillofacial surgeon staining point, I would like to share my learning experience at Stanford. Moreover, I would present the comprehensive review and the latest knowledge of sleep surgery.